The evening of July 15 at about 11:45 I was outside and in the distance I saw a fluctuating red light. Examining closer, there were sparks and glowing wires. There are acres of dried grass and plants below so I immediately called DMEA. The message was to call 911.
Within 15 minutes there were probably 12 emergency vehicles and twice as many personnel. Problem -- a cracked cable probably by lightning. The firemen put the fire out and DMEA replaced the equipment.
Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Your professional, polite, dedicated service possibly prevented a disaster. We in Delta County are blessed to have exceptional emergency response and great people like Doug Fritz, chief.
Thanks to the efforts of state Rep. Millie Hamner, House District 61, Colorado State University plans to re-open the Rogers Mesa research site.
The facility was taken out of operation in 2011, due to budget cuts throughout the CSU system.