It has been 10 years since the Hotchkiss-Crawford Historical Society moved into its present building. The museum will celebrate this event with an open house on Saturday, Aug. 8, from 1 - 4 p.m.
Several new display cases have recently been acquired and filled with new exhibits. Two cases feature the history of the Delta County Fair, first held at the present fairgrounds in 1919. You can see many photos of the rodeos and races, and photos of boating and ice ckating at the fairgrounds when the Hotchkiss Fair Association had a lagoon.
Other new exhibits include an old-time doctor's office, early clubs and organizations, 1930s volunteer fire departments, arrowhead collections, Merle Lund's Colorado rock collection and many enlarged photos from Danny Cotten's collection.
The Hotchkiss-Crawford Historical Society was formed in 1975. The museum was in the Hotchkiss Library for several years before moving to the VFW building which was a barracks originally located at Camp Hale. The present building was funded by the many generous donations from the community and from several grants.
Admission is free at the museum on Friday, Aug. 7, from 1 until 4 p.m. and on Saturday, Aug. 8, from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Refreshments will be served.
An open community discussion may begin soon as some Chamber of Commerce board members think town hall's chosen marketing identity label for Cedaredge -- Vintage -- is the wrong one for promoting business and commerce.
The Vintage label emerged from a "Branding Summit" held last summer.