Gusty winds fanned a planned burn on the Lazy H Ranch outside of Paonia into a wildfire on Thursday, April 26. No structures were reported damaged and the fire was quickly contained after being reported around 6 p.m.
This year's fire season could be the worst one, forecast-wise, in quite some time, according to Mike Morgan, director of the Colorado Division of Fire Prevention and Control. A dry winter and spring have left our mountains nearly barren. While it's too early to predict exactly what the fire season will bring, the forecast is looking a little grim.
It must be March in Delta County. Columns of smoke dot the landscape, a breeze carries an odor of burning, and the sound of sirens punctuates an otherwise peaceful day.
On Thursday Jan. 25, at approximately 4 a.m., the Delta Police Department was called to 755 1600 Road for a structure fire. The structure was not occupied.
A fire at 14238 Deer Run Road, Delta, destroyed a shed containing four Harley-Davidson motorcycles, motorcycle accessories and a drying rack for firewood on Dec. 12. The property is owned by Glen and Joyce Conger.
Fire crews from the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre, and Gunnison (GMUG) National Forests conducted five prescribed burns during the months of October and November, successfully treating approximately 3,465 acres of the Uncompahgre National Forest.
During the week of Oct. 16 GMUG fire crews ignited the Rocky Pitch prescribed burn treating approximately 310 acres along the south rim of Unaweep Canyon.
Delta County Federal Credit Union and First State Bank are accepting donations for Hotchkiss residents Sam and Teri Fritzlan after their home was severely damaged by a fire on Thanksgiving night.
A fire that destroyed a doublewide mobile home at 8979 Marshalls Road, Austin, on Oct. 16 remains under investigation. Delta County Sheriff Fred McKee reports that investigators have not yet obtained a statement from Perry Blake, the home's owner.
A wildfire caused by a downed DMEA power line charred about five acres along Back River Road on Labor Day.
Dubbed the Back River Road Fire, Hotchkiss Fire District assistant fire chief Steve Schroder said the department received a report of a fire on Back River Road near Hotchkiss at about 6:15 p.m. Monday, Sept. 4.
A cigarette has been blamed for a fire that severely damaged a townhome at 1120 Park Ridge Court in Delta Wednesday, April 26.
The structure fire was reported at about 6 p.m.
The Paonia Volunteer Fire Department responded to two fires late last week. On Thursday, April 13, they responded to a structure fire on Cresthaven Road.
On Thursday, March 23, at approximately 1:57 p.m., officers of the Delta Police Department were dispatched to a report of an apartment on fire at 1549 Highway 50. Delta Fire District and the Delta County Ambulance District also responded.
If you are planning to conduct any open burning, you must first contact the Delta County Dispatch (399-2955) on the day you plan to conduct the burn. If a red flag day has been declared, callers will be notified to delay burning.
An elderly Cedaredge man was killed Thursday, Feb. 23, after a fire swept through his trailer house at 24693 Cedar Mesa Road, Cedaredge, at about 11 p.m. The Delta County Sheriff's Office has identified the deceased man as Robert Nicodemus, 89.
Fire officials for the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests plan to begin burning slash and other debris piles at various locations across the GMUG. Burning could begin as early as Nov. 1 and continue through March across the forest.
The lightning-caused Lime Kiln Fire was reported on Sept. 14, 2016. The quarter-acre fire is burning in pinion-juniper woodlands on Bureau of Land Management-managed lands about 10 miles west-southwest of Crawford, Colorado.
The Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests are gearing up for fall prescribed burns. A total of nine areas are planned to burn.
Firefighters for the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests continue their work to suppress the Pitch and Kelso wildland fires on the Uncompahgre Plateau. These fires were caused by lightning.
It's been a busy spring for the Hotchkiss Fire District. On April 5, volunteer firefighters responded to two fires on North Road on Redlands Mesa within about six hours of each other.
At 1:30 p.m. a 911 call came in from a woman whose manufactured home had filled with smoke.
The cause of a fire that destroyed a shop in North Delta late Monday afternoon is under investigation.
Shannon Crespin, station manager, reports that 20 of the Delta Fire Department's 30 volunteers battled the blaze at 755 1600 Road.
The lights went out in Cedaredge and areas surrounding the town on Thursday, Feb. 18, from a power outage that lasted almost four hours -- from 7:36 to 11:10 p.m. according to a spokesperson with DMEA.
Police, fire, and ambulance crews responded to the site on West Main Street at about 12th Avenue where they found a fire burning atop a DMEA power pole.
On Tuesday morning, the American Red Cross responded to a single-family house fire on Hillcrest Drive in Delta that displaced one adult.
According to Jamie Head, Delta Police Department, the blaze was confined to the chimney.
When a fire erupted at a house on A Street in Crawford the evening of Oct. 2, Crawford Volunteer Fire Department firefighter Mike Tiedeman was in the right place at the right time and was paying attention.
"There's a lot of people calling Mike our local hero," said Crawford mayor Susie Steckel at the Oct. 7 council meeting.
Snow Dogs Restaurant, located at 81 Highway 133, just south of Paonia, will be closed until further notice following an electrical fire that started in the early hours of Aug. 26.
The closure is very disappointing, said Anna Raith, who along with husband Kurt opened the restaurant in 2013.
You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!
Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: