Somerset resident Joseph Fredrick Gallob died Sunday, July 19, 2015, in Delta. He was 87.
A funeral service will be held at 10 a.m., Saturday, July 25, at Immanuel Lutheran Church in Paonia. Interment will follow at Delta City Cemetery with military rites by Wilson Head American Legion #97.
Mr. Gallob was born in Somerset March 10, 1928, to Fred and Katherine (Mihelich) Gallob. He spent his childhood and attended school in Somerset and Bowie.
In November 1952 he married Dorothy Hutchison in Paonia. They had three children. The marriage was dissolved. On Jan. 23, 1970, he married Marilyn Fraser in Telluride. She died July 30, 1990, in Delta. Mr. Gallob later married Marie Nehring. She preceded him in death.
Mr. Gallob joined the U.S. Army following high school. He served in Japan at the end of World War II. After leaving the Army, he moved to Telluride and worked in the Idarado hard rock mine. In 1968 he returned to Somerset where he worked in the coal mines until retiring.
He was a member of Immanuel Lutheran Church and the American Legion, both in Paonia.
Mr. Gallob enjoyed hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, gardening, the outdoors, dancing, whistling and spending time with his family and friends.
He is survived by his sons, Gerald Gallob of Paonia and Michael (Lynn) Gallob of Virginia Beach, Va.; a stepson, Michael Branson of Delta; a daughter, Jody (Peter) Werner of Buena Vista; a stepdaughter, Debra (Julian) Timbreza of Delta; a brother, Frank (Bonnie) Gallob of Hinesville, Ga.; three sisters, Katherine McCall of Grand Junction, Mary Anne Schofield of Florence, Ore., and Gail (Don) Fraser of Delta; 16 grandchildren; and 28 great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his brother, Bill Gallob; three wives; and a stepson, Mark Branson.
Memorial contributions may be sent to HopeWest, P.O. Box 24, Delta, CO 81416.
Taylor Funeral Service and Crematory is handling the arrangements.
View the Internet obituary and sign the online guest registry at taylorfuneralservice.com.
Brian Aucutt, 58, a homeless Delta man, was seriously burned while attempting to ignite a kerosene heater late Friday afternoon.
Aucutt was occupying the crawlspace in a vacant home at 210 Main Street, just north of Hoolie's.