Fairview School's annual reunion was held on June 27 at Gunnison River Pleasure Park. The school is no longer in existence though many of the former students, whether they attended for a short time or for grades one through eight, look forward to this yearly get-together to renew friendships and recall those early days at the school. There were 115 former students and their guests in attendance.
The original two-room schoolhouse was built in 1900 halfway between Austin and Cory. As more settlers arrived and enrollments increased, more rooms were added in 1902 and 1926 including a furnace room and indoor restrooms. When Mound, Tongue Creek schools closed, those students were transferred to Fairview as were some of those from the Peach VaIley School. In 1950 the school became part of the consolidated Delta County School District 50J and a lunchroom was added. Fairview School was closed in 1965. Thereafter the children were bused to Delta.
Ray Drysdale was a 1945 graduate of Fairview School. He was presented an award, made by Jimmie Boyd, thanking him for his generous gift of breakfast for everyone attending the reunions throughout the years. Deb Drysdale Elias highlighted her father's life and told of some of his many accomplishments.
Marilyn Boyd had the audience participating in a game -- Down Memory Lane. Everyone enjoyed the sing-along led by the "Dixonettes," joining along with Billy Boy, This Land is Your Land and God Be With You Till We Meet Again.
The planning committee consisted of Merredith Von Burg, Marilyn Boyd, Marsha Thomas, Pat Percival, Jimmie Boyd, George Duncan and Connie Hutchinson. The first planning committee met in 1992 and consisted of Ray Drysdale, Betty Kading, Willard Callahan, Genevieve Hice, Helen Brew, T.J. Harshman, June Mills, Polly Cooper, Jack Hawkins, John Stafford and Ernie Tafoya. Fairview School has enjoyed a yearly reunion since then.
Thanks to the efforts of state Rep. Millie Hamner, House District 61, Colorado State University plans to re-open the Rogers Mesa research site.
The facility was taken out of operation in 2011, due to budget cuts throughout the CSU system.