On May 1 of this year county assessor Debbie Griffith mailed to all Delta County property owners a notice of the valuation of their property, the valuation on which their property taxes will be based for 2015, payable in 2016.
The notice of valuation stated that hearings would be held by the assessor through June 1, 2015, for those property owners who disagreed with the assessor's valuation of their property and wished to appeal that valuation.
Those property owners who set a hearing with Griffith and reached an agreement on the value of their property had that agreement "stipulated."
Those property owners who were not able to reach a stipulated valuation with the assessor were entitled to appeal the assessor's valuation to the Board of Equalization. A hearing of those appeals was held July 27.
The Board of County Commissioners (BoCC) serves as the Board of Equalization. The BoCC, by state statute, may appoint a hearings officer to hear the appeals, make recommendations concerning the valuations, and forward those recommendations to the BOCC for its action.
On Monday the BoCC acted on the recommendations of the hearings officer.
The stipulated property valuations approved by the BoCC were: Gerald Taylor, residential; Jarett Bond, vacant; Southwest Enterprises, commercial; Joe Davis, agricultural; Jennifer McGavin, vacant; Aspen Professional Building LLC, commercial; and MCG3 LLC, commercial.
The appeals heard by the hearings officer and his recommendations were reviewed by the BoCC. The BoCC agreed with the hearings officer's recommendations as listed below.
For the appeals which were denied, the hearings officer found the valuations were made in accordance with state statutes.
• Susan T. Raymond, agricultural/commercial: appeal denied.
• Marvin G. Kieca Trust, residential: appeal denied.
• Assessment Technologies - Safeway, personal property: Safeway representative did not appear for the hearing; appeal denied.
• Bonnie Ludlow, vacant: appeal denied.
• Richard McGavin, vacant: decrease from $40,000 to $37,500.
• Darrel Fisher, residential: appeal denied.
• Southern Foods Group LLP, industrial: appeal denied.
• Roger W. Bentley. Agricultural land: retains agricultural classification; changed from irrigated to grazing. Building: adjusted from $61,785 to $55,481. Appeals denied on four parcels.
• Steve Eberhardt, industrial: appeal denied.
• McCary DO Holdings, agricultural: appeal denied.
On May 18, officers of the Delta Police Department, with the assistance from the Delta County Sheriff's Office and Montrose County Sheriff's Office, conducted a search warrant at 960 Crawford Avenue, Delta. The warrant was related to drugs, drug use and possession, drug manufacturing and distribution, firearms, cell phones and any other items which may be illegal, stolen or otherwise implicating in criminal activity.